GPU plot generator v4.1.1 (Win/Linux)

• admin

@XenForoSlavik I see a plotter plotting - am I missing something ?

• @haitch said in GPU plot generator v4.1.1 (Win/Linux):

@XenForoSlavik I see a plotter plotting - am I missing something ?

Yes, the appalling speed. The first one is the GPU plotter... the second is Xplotter.

Unless a GPU (Titan X) writing in direct mode at 1/3 the speed of a cpu is expected? When in buffer mode it can write at 35-40k.

• admin

@XenForoSlavik When writing in direct mode, gpuplotgenerator prior to the latest version goes through two stages - first it builds the file to hold the plot - depending on the drive size, this can be a day or more. Once built it then starts filling it in with plotted nonces. During Phase 1 your plotting rate will drop to miserable values, then during phase 2 it'll keep increasing.

However, @cryo has released a new version of gpuplotgenaerator, that when run as admin totally skips the slow build the file phase. Kill you plot and grab the new version and restart.

• I'm seeing some odd memory usage in Win 7 with 4.1.1 in direct mode (as admin) and was wondering if there was something I can do about it. First, plotting on a 3-core/6 thread xeon with 16 gb ram, rx 460.
    Devices: 0 0 8192 32 4
    Plotting 30482432 (8tb) nonces at 8192 stagger, at 17.5k nonces/min.
    Disk is writing at about 60% max speed.

When I start it up not as administrator, memory use is as expected. When I start it up as administrator, memory use goes through the roof with all free ram being used, and windows gobbling up about 30 gigs of ram+swap. Within the first 15 min, I get a couple catalyst-titled windows with nothing in the window, which normally indicate memory problems, but nothing comes of it. It then slowly unwinds part of the memory and swap hording and doesn't touch the swap much after starting.

I would give the plotter more ram or run in parallel, but when I try to, the swap allocation gets worse and it goes slower (was getting anywhere from 4k-8k n/m). I lowered the number of hashes from 10 to 4 and that seemed to help quite a bit. Any clue what's going on here and how to avoid the gobbling?

• @doiron I had memory leaks with java in win7. Since I am on win8.1, all is good.
    I think @Blago or @luxe can confirm, that there are problems with win7 and memory leaks.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @haitch released a new version of gpuplotgenaerator, that when run as admin totally skips the slow build the file phase. Kill you plot and grab the new version and restart.

my admin starting not working, where is mistake on my side? thanks for help .. where i can find full version 4.1.1 with all things in folder: cos on official page isnt full version gpuplotter? why missing .dll?

• hi.. i was wondering if i have wrong setting in my gpu plotter?
    i only got 25k nonces/min
    with settings
    1 0 5120 64 7168

i have rx 580 sapphire nitro + 8gb
    8gb ddr4 Ram

and how long wound it take to plot 4tb drives in direct mode? Seagate/WD
    coz when i plot with buffered i finished it with 12 hrs.

• @xmagmax First I must say I'm not an expert, second different PC would have diffrent setting depend on devices it have.

Now that been said, to me your setting is a bit odd. Youe first value, which is 1, is the platform number that start from 0, 1 ,2 and so on. Normally it should be 0 because we only have 1 platform, at least mine is. The second value is the open GL device number, which also start from 0, 1 ,2 and so on. Open GL device would include all the CPU and GPU you have in your system, depend on the machine. You have to use bat file with "gpuPlotGenerator setup" command to check and decide which device you're going to use. gpuPlotGenerator setup command also tell you the rest value, but bare in mine these value are the potential max value your machine can handle. If, when plot and gpuPlotGenerator crash, you have to reduce these value (by haft).

In my case, I use RX480 8GB VRAM to plot. My setting values are 0 0 8096 32 4096 (my GPU is devidce 0, and my PC has 16 GB of RAM). I was able to plot 10TB Seagate int.HDD SATA3 in around 30Hrs, 8TB WD ext.HDD USB3 in around 26hrs, all in direct mode. But 8TB Seagate Backup plus HUB ext.HDD USB3 is an odd ball for me. Even with same setting, it took me over 5days to finish, don't know why.

So what I do to speed things up and reduce the chance of PC crash before finish plotting is to split in to smaller plot. I plot a 1GB plot onto a 1GB SSD then copy to the actual mining HDD, one at the time until finish the whole HDD.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.