Installing wallet on ubuntu

• Could someone please give me a step by step to install the wallet on ubuntu. New to the OS and can not figure it out.

• @elmorenicholas basically install java runtime environment, download wallet, unpack wallet, run wallet.

# to install java:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install default-jre
    # might want to make a directory and unzip there
    mkdir burst-wallet
    cd burst-wallet
    # to download and unpack wallet (first making sure wget & unzip are installed):
    sudo apt-get install wget unzip
    wget https://github.com/burst-team/burstcoin/releases/download/1.2.7/burstcoin-1.2.7.zip
    unzip burstcoin-1.2.7.zip
    # make run.sh executable
    chmod +x run.sh

./run.sh

if you are download the database from db.burst-team.us copy it to burst_db/ and unzip before executing run.sh

point web browser at http://localhost:8125/

you can remove zip files once unpacked.

• @damncourier awesome thank you I think that worked. Will I always have to go to the browser? and also will I be able to plot and mine from there like on a windows computer?

• @damncourier I had everything plotted and mining before however my windows crashed so I am trying Ubuntu instead. This is why I have the questions. ALso will I have to replot everything or will it still work with the old plots?

• Banned

@elmorenicholas said in Installing wallet on ubuntu:

@damncourier I had everything plotted and mining before however my windows crashed so I am trying Ubuntu instead. This is why I have the questions. ALso will I have to replot everything or will it still work with the old plots?

Yes

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions

• @elmorenicholas short answer, yes
    the windows AIO wallet is a graphical interface front end for a collection of burst software, it displays the wallet in a web view within that interface. there is no equivalent front end for linux.

no you will not have to replot as long as you still have the password to access your wallet that the plots are for. you will be able to mount the filesystems from windows (thanks @Focus for the link)

• @damncourier
    Linux read performance will not be good on these large plotfiles and NTFS formatted disks!
    At least this was my observation.. I tried the "ntfs-3g" and "paragon - ntfs for linux" driver.
    All that on a somewhat low powered machine however! (but usb3)

It will work! But you probably want to replott!

• @nixxda good to know. i almost mentioned the overhead for ntfs under linux, wasn't sure if it would be a problem with mining.

years ago i used ntfs-3g for large files on usb2 drives, had horrible write speeds and ended up adjusting some mount options. i don't remember which, and no longer use ntfs under linux.

found a faq but isn't very pratical for how to fix things
    http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/#slow

curious about details, such as your plot size, plot read time on ntfs vs ext4

• @damncourier To expand upon this a little bit here is howto run Burstcoin Wallet on linux as a service. My system is Linux Mint 18.1 Serena/Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial, but should work for any linux distro utilizing systemd. You might have to make minor adjustments to make it work.

Put the burstwallet files somewhere, I put mine in /opt/burstwallet. My service is also being run by a non-root user.
    So after you install the burst wallet, next you need to create a file called /etc/systemd/system/burstwallet.service

sudo vi /etc/systemd/system/burstwallet.service

In this file paste the following text, but be sure to update your information:

[Unit]
    Description=Burstcoin Wallet Service

[Service]
    # change to the user you want to run your service, or the owner of the burstwallet files
    User=fibere

# Update to the location you installed burstwallet
    WorkingDirectory=/opt/burstcoin

ExecStart=/usr/bin/java -cp burst.jar:lib/*:conf nxt.Nxt
    SuccessExitStatus=143
    Restart=on-failure
    RestartSec=120s

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

After saving your file you need to refresh the systemd daemons

[email protected] /opt/burstcoin $ sudo systemctl daemon-reload

Then you can start your new service and check its status

sudo systemctl start burstwallet
     systemctl status burstwallet

It should say that your new service is started and look something like this:

● burstwallet.service - Burstcoin Wallet Service
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/burstwallet.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: active (running) since Wed 2017-06-07 19:25:12 CDT; 43min ago
     Main PID: 19390 (java)
        Tasks: 74
       Memory: 2.4G
          CPU: 2min 56.041s
       CGroup: /system.slice/burstwallet.service
               └─19390 /usr/bin/java -cp /opt/burstcoin/burst.jar:lib/*:conf nxt.Nxt

Jun 07 19:25:12 snowrock systemd[1]: Started Burstcoin Wallet Service.
    Jun 07 19:25:34 snowrock java[19390]: 2017-06-07 19:25:34 INFO: OCL max items: 1status920
    Jun 07 19:25:42 snowrock java[19390]: 2017-06-07 19:25:42 INFO: nxt.apiServerEnforcePOST = "true"
    Jun 07 19:28:14 snowrock java[19390]: 2017-06-07 19:28:14 INFO: Finished connecteding to 2 well known peers.
    Jun 07 20:08:21 snowrock systemd[1]: Started Burstcoin Wallet Service.
    $ 

If the service has not started be sure to check your paths in the burstwallet.service file. If you make any changes to the file you have to refresh the daemons with the or check the log with journalctl -xe

Good luck!

hodge

• @Hodgegobin good of you to post this, i am sure someone will find it helpful.

i usually just leave it running in detached screen session, might give a service a try if i move burst wallet back to linux host (stuck it on an os x machine recently for number of reasons)

and because there are fanatics out there- how about rc.d scripts?

• @damncourier hah, I haven't written one of those in awhile!

• yeah i am okay with systemd.

the passion of folks that are against systemd amazes me and the debates on linux forums about how rc.d is superior is great reading during popcorn snacktime. ;)

• @damncourier hah maybe 10 years ago I would have been passionate about its superiority. But now I'm lazy and don't have time to spend. Easily to just puke a couple lines in a file and seal it up Haha.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.