Multiple BURST announcements & what to expect going forward

• admin

@Darkbane I get your point. That would be a good use case for the Burst Foundation. The idea is that this entity can't just vanish. The plan is to make it self sustaining and with check and balances by people who run it.

About a wiki that may go offline and all info lost: There can be monthly backups, so if something really bad happens, all the data can made available on a different domain within hours.

• @haitch said in Multiple BURST announcements & what to expect going forward:

@Darkbane Basically you're asking is there somewhere we can host a VM for free? And the answer is no - apart from me and anyone in the Burst community running a VM server. Wikipedia will hold an article about Burstcoin, but not a Burstcoin wiki, If we want a wiki, we need to provide the platform for it.

well a VM would I guess be the wrong solution, because it would still require humans to configure and keep running and when it crashed for someone to fix it... I think I'm asking, is there anything else like wikipedia but better? better in the sense its somehow more flexible to the community but the same basic concept that people can freely edit and update or remove information as it changes in real-time, is reliable and more or less a "front page" and not so much a full working website with all the bells and whistles... I just don't know if anyone else does what wikipedia does better than wikipedia does it... we don't need a full VM or website, just a front page that can be edited and updated by the community with no person "owning" it and ultimately no costs to keep it going in the future so someone doesn't walk away...

we basically need a "walmart greeter" style place that welcomes people to burst and then if the person has questions it directs them to where they can find answers... aka, wikipedia with a "community links" section where the community can freely edit links as they change over time... so our "walmart greeter" can point people in the right direction or at least give them the options to pick from rather than this immense scattering and division in the community now we need a central starting point...

• @Darkbane I'm afraid such a thing doesn't exist. We will need to use a vm. I'll take monthly backups and save them. If it ever goes down and @haitch disappears, which probably won't happen, I'll put up my own server and start with the backups. This process then just continues.

• Yeah, thank me for making this rock roll..

• what im hoping todo or should say would like to do is get it up and running and have possibly have 2 or 3 mirror sites running also

so if one goes down the other two are ready to take is place with no loss of data or perhaps very little

the mirrors would be owned by other fokes for example
    Mirror 1 myself
    Mirror 2 Elmerfudd
    Mirror 3 Dawallet

so even if i were to leave burst the other 2 would be there still

• @kev626 said in Multiple BURST announcements & what to expect going forward:

@Darkbane I'm afraid such a thing doesn't exist. We will need to use a vm. I'll take monthly backups and save them. If it ever goes down and @haitch disappears, which probably won't happen, I'll put up my own server and start with the backups. This process then just continues.

I'm not talking about something like the forums... I'm literally just talking about a "welcome page" like a wikipedia where people can put basic information and direct people to the more advanced personally owned and operated websites... a true community source of information that can be modified and changed as things naturally do but those still remaining in the community...

I mean wikipedia already does what I want, I was just wondering if there were any other services I'm unaware of that someone else has experience with similar to it, and possibly better than it... but no, we don't need a VM owned and operated by others to have this starting point for people that can be the traffic cop directing them which way to turn for information or as a source of information for the most commonly and repeated things we routinely see asked/answered dozens of times daily... instead we could say "hey check out the wikipedia, its got tons of info, but since you're here I can answer that question now, but make sure to check the wiki too"...

• admin

@Darkbane There are no hosts where you can create a private wiki. Wikipedia won't host a Burstcoin specific wiki; no one is going to give you free hosting - you need a VM to run the Wiki server.

• @haitch said in Multiple BURST announcements & what to expect going forward:

@Darkbane There are no hosts where you can create a private wiki. Wikipedia won't host a Burstcoin specific wiki; no one is going to give you free hosting - you need a VM to run the Wiki server.

I don't want it to be a private wiki, I want it to be public, where the public edits it, like on wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burstcoin

P.S. basically, I want to encourage folks to go to the current wikipedia, and edit it, and add information, and contribute to that, rather than try to create and run a separate one thats prone to all the issues I have described...

• admin

@Darkbane you've taken private out of context. What I was trying to say was that Wikipedia wont' host a Burstcoin wiki - you need a host to run the wiki, and that host will be a VM - there are no free wiki hosts.

• admin

@Darkbane www.burst.wiki
    Creating a new page is done by linking a new article in an existing article.
    You don't have to register to edit this wiki.

• admin

@daWallet Thank you and the Burst Foundation for stepping up and creating this. I hope it's as successful as it needs to be - and let me know if I can do anything.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.