Single or Multiple Plotting

• Would you consider creating plot with single HDD ie 1TB to 5GB plots for speed efficiency? Or clubbing it all in single big chunk of plot will do the same?

• @crypto.bin101 many people said that having a big chunk of plot will help to lower the reading speed compare to many little chunks of plot. im plotting 500GB to 1tb a file, the reason for this is when GPU stuck up it will not ruin the whole(eg 5TB) and waste your time, but if youre using xplotter you can continue plotting just in case of sudden power loss etc so ill suggest you to plot 1 big plot.

• I had this very question. Either do one big 40TB plot or multiple 5TB ones. I chose to go with multiple 5TB ones because if something happens and the plot messes up you are only out 5TB not the full 40TB.

• admin

@kameleon 40TB implies you're using some sort of RAID. Don't - individual drives will mine faster than a single huge RAID volume.

• @kameleon said in Single or Multiple Plotting:

I had this very question. Either do one big 40TB plot or multiple 5TB ones. I chose to go with multiple 5TB ones because if something happens and the plot messes up you are only out 5TB not the full 40TB.

I wouldn't worry about if the plot "messes up", I would worry about having 40TB that I would have to redo if ONE drive failed, thats the single largest reason for using single drives... there is no reason to use RAID for this, even redundant RAID forms are a waste of space, you should be able to recreate the data from a single drive lost quite easy, but attempting to replace the data for 8 different drives in a single RAID would be enough to make someone want to quit for sure...

if you have 5TB drives, depending on how long it takes you to plot a single drive, just do a single file, if it takes you a long time because your CPU or GPU or HD are slow, then perhaps consider splitting it up into 1TB files in case something happens along the way, or use the plotting software that continues where it left off from, in that case there is even less to worry about in the short term right?

on the off chance you haven't spent money on all this hardware yet, please pause and reconsider purchasing it, difficulty has risen, value has fallen, this is not the time to think you'll have growth or a good ROI, I hate to see people spend thousands on this coin... use what hardware you have, enjoy it, make a little coin, but don't risk thousands of dollars when there are clear indicators you should not... if you believe in Burst that much, consider just purchasing it direct, rather than mining it, less risk than hoping you mine coins, you'll have the amount of coins based on that days value you purchased them, then all you have to do is hope they become worth more and not less in the future, but at least you won't have to risk mining and the hope it increases, you'll be limiting your risk to just the value of the coin, not mining too...

P.S. haha I re-read your message now after my reply posted, I see you've already made the decision and my lack of sleep made me think you were asking us what you should do, and it seems you already did it... don't forum when you lack sleep! lol...

• @haitch said in Single or Multiple Plotting:

@kameleon 40TB implies you're using some sort of RAID. Don't - individual drives will mine faster than a single huge RAID volume.

I wouldn't say they will mine faster, all my tests done suggest there is little difference from a RAID0 and individual drives, I mean if each drive is pumping out 160MB/s the overhead of the RAID has little to no effect, it sure didn't for me...

my big concern would be what I mentioned in my reply to him, making a 40TB plot would be an absolute disaster if a single drive failed, he would lose the entire plot and likely have to spend days or weeks quite possibly depending on his hardware to recover, thats just not worth doing... single drives are the way to go in case of data loss, its easy to recover when you can recreate the data lost, but difficult to choke down when that 5TB loss turns into 40TB and potentially weeks to redo...

• admin

@Darkbane unless the RAID is interleaved, it's going to read sequentially whereas multiple drives can be read in parallel.

• @haitch said in Single or Multiple Plotting:

@haitch Yes I am using Synology enclosures and they are running RAID. One of them is a RAID5 while the other two are RAID6. They have other stuff on them besides just Burst so I pretty much have to leave them alone. I am able to plot 5TB chunks in about 21 hours each. Not terribly bad since I have 3 machines plotting simultaneously (1 per array).

@Darkbane said in Single or Multiple Plotting:

... use what hardware you have, enjoy it, make a little coin, .......

I am using what I have ;)

I run offsite backups for some customers of mine and this is the hardware that stores them. I have room left as I over spec'd them on purpose. Worst case I need the space back and I move the plots to external USB's as needed. Yet another reason I chose to go with smaller plots. But for now I am plotting approx 80TB in 5TB chunks. Hopefully I will be done plotting this week and can choose the pool I want to join so I can start mining.

• @kameleon said in Single or Multiple Plotting:

I am using what I have ;)

THIS IS MUSIC TO MY EARS!

glad to see folks using whats available, rather than spending money to chase money that doesn't yet exist and potentially won't... you sir, are ahead of the game!

• admin

@kameleon As @darkbane said, if this is surplus storage, don't reconfigure just use what you have.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.