So we need a hardware solution for Burst!

• @vExact Those companies ask for several thounsands of dollars for new hardware wallet development.I do not think this community at this point is ready to give 50k for hardware wallet when we cant even pay our devs properly.

• @vExact , what would a hardware wallet do that a passphrase on a piece of paper couldn't?

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• admin

@rds I presume the hardware device needs to be present to be able to mine.

• @haitch ,, that would be tough when you're mining from 2 or 3 accounts/machines.

• admin

@rds I just looked at my 9 miners and wondered what this sort of solution would cost me ........

• @haitch said in So we need a hardware solution for Burst!:

@rds I just looked at my 9 miners and wondered what this sort of solution would cost me ........

Exactly, I don't like it.

• @rds & @haitch maybe require a hardware key for over a certain TB threshold say .05% of the total network storage, therefore not precluding a new miner, which would start between 500gb to 20TBish, and figuring out a way to limit a single miner which would diversify the mining & burst.

just an idea, mining tears idk

• The wallets have been finicky and tough to use recently... but where has the security truly been an issue with the wallet... other than user error?

Pools have been compromised (partially by people that HAD access right?), people have been selfish and locked down dev funds they had access to (crowetic and focus). But if there are consistent local/online wallets that work is security really an issue?

• @burst1 , for the first time in months, I now have 8 local wallet running perfectly on 4 machines. I always ran at least 2 on each machine so when the active one crapped I could swap over to the backup. Haven't had to do that for almost a week now.

• The hardware wallet for burst is already there and it is called USB memory, as long as the currency is not changed and the only thing necessary to identify yourself is a password I think there is nothing to do

• Agree that a piece of paper or an offline flash drive with your passphrase in it is a sort of hardware wallet, but: would you use it on a daily basis? the answer is no. We use them more for security reasons and store value, but if you are an asset issuer or an asset trader, or you use to send funds back and forth to an exchange and you happen to have some considerable funds, then you could be screwed, be it due to a human mistake or a trojan, as it sadly happen to haitch, someone with I am sure is more versed in IT than many of us... I didn't know though about what @Ip85 mentioned, that these companies use to charge those amounts of money. Sad indeed :(

• @haitch @rds I guess the wallet device would need to be present to mine if you are solo mining, otherwise if you are in a pool you don't need it after reward assignment is done.

• A wallet of bitcoin hardware is like having a laptop disconnected from the network, the only thing the hardaware created for it is smaller and it is easier to take it from one place to another.
    When you create a bitcoin purse you can only use it where you created it or in local or online, unless you import the private keys, this does not happen with burst you can enter the password from any wallet.
    Another thing that differentiates burst from bitcoin, is that burst brings a built-in server and bitcoin not, so the online bitcoin wallets can apply different security systems, but they apply it to the script not to the purse itself and it is the same That make the wallets by hardware.

In burst is not so, with the same password you can enter all wallets

• @Energy it's basically the same, at the private key level, for burst private keys are the passphrasses. The security lies in the fact that private keys are generated within the device and never leave the device itself when a transaction is broadcasted, unless you export them on purpose from the hardware wallet to your computer...

• @vExact It is not the same, at least with the currency as it is now, you either want or you do not have to have a password to enter your account or to make transactions.
    Let's put in the case that the password is encrypted and you do not even have access to it, because if you have access to the password using a usb or a tablet would be the same, but if you do not have access that happens in case of loss or failure On the device ??? You lose everything.

Bitcoin and burst are not at all like

• IP85 mentions payment of the developers.

I suppose I'm a bit cynical, having only recently 'realised' the potential for cryto-currencies, and so now it almost seems too late. The mines are empty and the greater populace are foraging for scraps...

Am I wrong here? I thought that the general idea is that some originators get together, make a new currency and then mine a few million for themselves, and then release the coin. Then everyone talks about 'community' involvement, so the originators can then reap profits while 'community developers' develop interfaces, mostly as an investment, rewarded by adoption of the currency.

Is there ever full-disclosure on coins held by the coin-releasers?

• @Energy said in So we need a hardware solution for Burst!:

@vExact It is not the same, at least with the currency as it is now, you either want or you do not have to have a password to enter your account or to make transactions.
    Let's put in the case that the password is encrypted and you do not even have access to it, because if you have access to the password using a usb or a tablet would be the same, but if you do not have access that happens in case of loss or failure On the device ??? You lose everything.

Bitcoin and burst are not at all like

@Energy I am not versed in this kind of things from the tech point of view, but I am sure there could be implemented a way to backup your private keys with encrypted passwords and/or backup passphrases... The main advantage of such devices is that they need a 'human touch' e.g. press a button to authorize any kind of transaction, so people need either to have your private keys, which they can not at least they hold on your backup passphrase, or have the device themselves to press a button to authorize transactions.

• I am not an expert either but I will try to explain myself with an example of these idiots that I come up with from time to time.

We have 2 Bitcoin and burst buildings, and in each of them there are six floors (these would be the wallet)
    When you enter to live in the bitcoin building you can put in the door the security you want and the furniture you want, but if you want to move from living on the floor one to two you have to carry everything even the door.
    This currently does not happen in burst since the building was constructed with 6 floors exactly the same so with the same key you can enter all the buildings.
    You when you create a local bitcoin wallet you do not go to blockchain.info and you can use it there as well and in burst as soon as you create the account you can enter all the wallets.

If it is a question of changing the operation of the currency, why not ask for something more economical, since the currency uses its own web server, because it does not look to implement a mail server and it is necessary in addition to the password an email address .
    So you could apply 2FA and send a code to the mail every time you want to enter the account, so it would also prevent the creation of accounts to spoil the assets of other people.

But I guess this will not be easy without changing the coin

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.