Pool payout question

• Hi, all,

I've been up and mining for a few days now and have questions about how pools are supposed to work. I thought I had a handle on it, but think I must have missed something. I've only gotten a little over 15TB plotted and mining so far, but am growing that. According to the calculator I should expect something just over 100 burst/day. And I understand that's an estimate, an that difficulty is skyrocketing, and that this will have variability with some days way under and some way over - that we're shooting for an average over time. But, when I had the first few days returning 1/3 to 1/2 of what I expected I started digging into what data I could find and found something I don't follow - and what the actual question I have is.

From the pool's metrics I expected it to win an average of 6 blocks/day. It pays immediately, so I expected to see transactions trickling in around the same rate. After noticing several groups of payouts showing up that didn't include me, I pulled an export of the pool's transactions from block explorer and just did some cursory analysis. Between July 6 and 7 there were 17 groups of payments, most of which look like they match what I would expect a block win to yield - total transaction value around 1,500-1,600 burst spread across 40-55ish accounts. The problem was that I'd seen incoming transactions in that timeframe that matched to three of those, with one additional that I couldn't match to anything in the export data (though in my wallet it clearly came from the pool's address). I've been mining the entire time, and submitting DL every block with the exception of those odd blocks that roll past in just a few seconds.

To check my gut feel I stopped my miner, turned on logging and restarted it. I let it collect for a while and then wrote a script to parse it and give me some rough metrics. Over 64 blocks I had confirmed responses for 90% of them. The other 10% were groups of blocks that rolled by in less than 10 seconds. My lowest DL was confirmed in 21.9 seconds on average (from new block found). My average DL was 2086399, but my median DL was 1147638. Given that I've been mining continuously - and generally have a decent standing in "All Round Shares" - I thought I understood that pool behavior should see me getting little cuts of most wins, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm including my rough dump analysis below in case anyone is interested.

Again, I'm new at this, so perhaps I'm just missing something fundamental. Many thanks the great community and those who have answered my questions along the way.

0_1499710931235_Pool payouts.png

• For what it's worth, it just happened again, and when I had logging on. I noticed a group of recent payments (to 41 accounts), clicked on the one that got the bulk of the payment and saw that he had forged block 380448 at about that time. I had accepted DL for that block as well as for many blocks before. I had several decent DLs in the previous few blocks. Here are the synopsis of the last few blocks before (only best DL shown for each):

20:10:10: New block 380442 (Solved in 33 seconds)
    20:10:40: DL 3087240 - confirmed in 30 seconds

20:10:43: New block 380443 (Solved in 335 seconds)
    20:11:12: DL 2447952 - confirmed in 29 seconds

20:16:18: New block 380444 (Solved in 45 seconds)
    20:16:47: DL 660462 - confirmed in 29 seconds

20:17:03: New block 380445 (Solved in 127 seconds)
    20:17:33: DL 609285 - confirmed in 30 seconds

20:19:10: New block 380446 (Solved in 287 seconds)
    20:19:30: DL 581526 - confirmed in 20 seconds

20:23:57: New block 380447 (Solved in 430 seconds)
    20:24:19: DL 240438 - confirmed in 22 seconds

20:31:07: New block 380448 (Solved in 234 seconds)
    20:31:17: DL 1104829 - confirmed in 10 seconds

• @good-ham , two things,

1. Block explorer may not have all the transactions. It is a database and if it missed some, they don't refresh, AFAIK.

2. What pool type? Lex pool is a mystery to me, and everytime I see someone request an explanation, the pool operators don't seen to satisfy. Ninja style, pretty straightforward. When the pool hits a block you will get the sum of what is shown against your name for the current and historic shares. If under 300 typically, it is recorded as deferred payment until paid.

• @rds Thanks for the reply. It is a Lex pool. I think I'm going to jump to another pool tonight and see what happens over the next few days. I was looking at the Ninja style and it looks much more straight-forward. The Lex one refreshes often, and crushes my browser after running a few hours. Any pool you'd recommend? Just bumped up to 30TB and more on the way.

As for the block explorer, I figured it was missing some data based on my results. The part that is bother me though is all the data it DOES have of other people getting paid but not me. :)

• @good-ham said in Pool payout question:

@rds Thanks for the reply. It is a Lex pool. I think I'm going to jump to another pool tonight and see what happens over the next few days. I was looking at the Ninja style and it looks much more straight-forward. The Lex one refreshes often, and crushes my browser after running a few hours. Any pool you'd recommend? Just bumped up to 30TB and more on the way.

As for the block explorer, I figured it was missing some data based on my results. The part that is bother me though is all the data it DOES have of other people getting paid but not me. :)

I have tried a lot of pools but lately I've been on burst.ninja. They used to be the big dog, but something happened to the pool account or some such and they rebuilt it. It is now slowly coming back to the top, so maybe 30TB might not get a lot of confirmed DLs. Try Falcon, CCminer or Poolofdeath, but really not sure about their current statuses. I just switched to solo after looking at my pool returns vs. solo and I'm giving up 30%. Should only be 2-3% over the long run, but in this high difficulty environment I can't stomach giving that much away. Good luck.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.