What do you risk by having slow drives ?

• What is the risk of having slow drives or an unoptimized plotfile ?

Will we risk anything if the computer uses long time to scan through the plots as long as it scans the plot within the block timelimit ?
    i.e when you have SAN's or NAS'es the speed is limited to the network bandwidth. which will cause a 16 bay SAN to max have 10Gbit (1250MB/s) over all drives or in worst case if you use an un agregated ethernet link only having 1Gb (125MB/s) over all drives.

• admin

@Thedude I had a 16 drive 50TB miner that was connected by 1Gb iSCSI, and it was fine for mining.

• @Thedude This should explain it.

Example: Two miners with 100TB each,
    Miner A can read all plots in 20seconds,
    Miner B can read all plots in 180seconds.

In each round with a deadline less than 3 minutes Miner A has the advantage of having all the plots read where as Miner B will not.
    Result Miner A relative plot size of 100Tb
    Result Miner B relative plot size of <100Tb

In each round with a deadline less than 2 minutes Miner A has the advantage of having all the plots read where as Miner B will not.
    Result Miner B relative plot size of <66Tb

In each round with a deadline less than 1 minute Miner A has the advantage of having all the plots read where as Miner B will not.
    Result Miner B relative plot size of <33Tb

• Plus longer read times = more electricity consumed. Your drives and CPU/GPU are idle less.

• @iKnow0 thanks for the explanation mate, that was a very clear explanation.

What is the lowest deadline a round can have ? (sorry if it's a noob question, but I'm in the middle of plotting my first build and want to stay away from beginner errors) :)

If I understand you correctly, the Plots should always be able to be ran within the lowest deadline of a round, but if you have the storage available you could add it regardless as it would be better to have some scanned than none regardless if its on slow storage ?

• @Thedude said in What do you risk by having slow drives ?:

@iKnow0 thanks for the explanation mate, that was a very clear explanation.

What is the lowest deadline a round can have ? 0 Seconds

If I understand you correctly, the Plots should always be able to be ran within the lowest deadline of a round, but if you have the storage available you could add it regardless as it would be better to have some scanned than none regardless if its on slow storage ? Mostly Yes, however if the cost of you power requirement for running the storage exceed its earnings then it would be loss making. An extreme example would be 1000 x 20GB drives.

• It is 2 Dell Equallogic's 16Bay enclosures I need to consider the power consumption and heat generated. I wonder if they might be too slow and too power hungry to be useful.

Thanks for helpfull input

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.