If you had to choose

• If you had to choose For plotting Is it better to have a Mediocre processor but a good amount of RAM or a good CPU and mediocre RAM? I guess I'm asking how much does each one play in the plotting process?

• @gersey , for CPU plotting using Xplotter RAM has no effect. I can plot the same speed with 128MB of RAM allocated to the plotter as 8GB allocated. Get a processor with multi cores (threads). For desktop units, you get about 1000 nonces/min/thread.

• @rds doesn't ram affect stagger size? im not sure im still new to all this myself. but having a higher ram allowed me to use a larger stagger size, unless you optimize your plots I guess it doesn't matter.

• @kevmachine , Xplotter creates optimized plots, there is no reason to make unoptimized plots. I used the old plot maker months ago, abandoned it when Xplotter came out.

• @rds i still use gpu plotter only because its 3x faster and at the moment the optimized plots dont really benifit me as i only have a small build atm. Thou later on im sure it will kick me in the behind.

• @kevmachine , you need 3x faster when you have 288TB of empty drives sitting on the table. For a small build Xplotter is fine. Also, you can plot files less than the full size of the drive. They get done quicker, and they can go right to mining while the others are plotting. Also I heard that if the GPU plotter interrupts before it's done, the file is ruined and you have to start over. Xplotter you can turn it on and off, it will pick up right where it left off, power failure, dog snags the drive cable etc.

• @kevmachine said in If you had to choose:

@rds i still use gpu plotter only because its 3x faster and at the moment the optimized plots dont really benifit me as i only have a small build atm. Thou later on im sure it will kick me in the behind.

you could use the GPU plotter in "direct" mode so you would be making optimized plots... my 1050 TI after fiddling around with settings for an hour or two, is able to make roughly 24000 nonces per minutes on a 1TB sized plot, optimized in direct mode... if I were to use my E5-1650 CPU I would be getting roughly 15000 nonces per minute in its default direct mode... so the GPU still wins, but it also uses half the power to do it quicker, both being optimized...

so don't settle on "buffer" mode just to get the speed, you likely will be able to optimize in "direct" mode quicker than your CPU as well, so why not do it?

• @Darkbane I thought of this also, I may start doing it actually. yeah my cpu is weak, it's an intel pentium g4670 I paid like $60 for it, I get like 5000-5500 nonces per minute. my video card is average, it's a gtx 770 2gb and in buffer mode I get around 15000 nonces per minute. When my new drives get here ill try direct. quick question, how many nonces per 1tb are there? do you just use an easy number to remember? when I type 1000 gb into the calculator it say's 4,096,000 nonces does that sound right? im still learning and thanks :D

• @gersey said in If you had to choose:

If you had to choose For plotting Is it better to have a Mediocre processor but a good amount of RAM or a good CPU and mediocre RAM? I guess I'm asking how much does each one play in the plotting process?

I would say you should focus more on what do you use this computer for in the long-term, exclude mining from the equation... if you play lots of games, you might actually want to invest in the GPU unless you already have a very stout one, then you may in fact want to put money towards the CPU... but I think the critical point is, creating plots will be a very short temporary thing, once they are created, you're done, you don't need to make them again, sure you will still have to read them, which is why more HDD space is better than bigger better CPU/GPU in the long run, but the question is, what if you decide to stop mining today, will you make use of all that HDD space today, or would a better GPU to play games be better, or would a better CPU to use applications have been better?

so don't look at this from the perspective of, what should I buy for mining, look at this from the perspective of, what can I make more use of months and years down the road while using it every day? (when asking hardware questions, you likely should post your current system, because for all I know you have 32GB of ram and an i7-7700k paired with a 1080 TI on top of it, advice changes greatly)

• you use GPU plotter then you want RAM so you can run plot optimiser witch is Ram hungry , if you use Xplotter witch plots alredy optimised then you want the most core's / threads as you can get on a CPU

@Darkbane I thought of this also, I may start doing it actually. yeah my cpu is weak, it's an intel pentium g4670 I paid like $60 for it, I get like 5000-5500 nonces per minute. my video card is average, it's a gtx 770 2gb and in buffer mode I get around 15000 nonces per minute. When my new drives get here ill try direct. quick question, how many nonces per 1tb are there? do you just use an easy number to remember? when I type 1000 gb into the calculator it say's 4,096,000 nonces does that sound right? im still learning and thanks :D

I Xplotted over 100TB on SMR drives with a CPU that did ~3000 nonces/min.

3815000 nonces per TB is as close as you can get without going over. Most drives have slightly more than 1E12 bytes.

@Darkbane I thought of this also, I may start doing it actually. yeah my cpu is weak, it's an intel pentium g4670 I paid like $60 for it, I get like 5000-5500 nonces per minute. my video card is average, it's a gtx 770 2gb and in buffer mode I get around 15000 nonces per minute. When my new drives get here ill try direct. quick question, how many nonces per 1tb are there? do you just use an easy number to remember? when I type 1000 gb into the calculator it say's 4,096,000 nonces does that sound right? im still learning and thanks :D

yeah 4096000 is what I have been using... remember, like I mentioned to the other guy I just replied to, creating plots is temporary, you create them, and then you're done, you don't need to make them again, unless you add another HDD, so focus less on upgrading for "mining" and focus more on what do you use that computer for every day, because you may stop mining and now you may not have spent the money on what you can benefit from daily, so if you upgrade things, what will make life better, a better GPU for gaming, a better CPU for applications, you know what you do daily, spend money on that first so you guarantee the best "return" on your investment...

otherwise as most have noted, its better to plot slowly and have more HDD space so you have more plots, than to buy a wicked quick CPU/GPU and have few plots, because like I said, you plot once, then you're done, if it takes a couple extra days so be it, because the next 363 days of the year, you won't be plotting... so if you spend money to upgrade hardware, buy what you can use daily to enjoy your games or applications... heck, maybe a larger monitor instead of CPU/GPU, who knows, only you know what you can make better use of daily... or maybe you get an SSD to clone your boot drive for snappier responses from your programs, and you can now use your old HDD you replaced to make plots on!

improve your daily life first, your mining life second...

• @Gibsalot said in If you had to choose:

you use GPU plotter then you want RAM so you can run plot optimiser witch is Ram hungry , if you use Xplotter witch plots alredy optimised then you want the most core's / threads as you can get on a CPU

you can use GPU plotter in "direct" mode rather than "buffer" mode and then you won't need extra RAM to optimize after since you will be optimizing on the fly as you go... thats what I have done, my 1050 TI gets roughly 24000 nonces in "direct" mode which means I never have to optimize later on, since its already been done...

• @Darkbane so the real question would be a good GPU or a good CPU ? lol cause in that case Ram has no effect , i have never had any luck running in direct mode, and stoped using GPU in buffer when Xplotter came out.

• @Gibsalot said in If you had to choose:

@Darkbane so the real question would be a good GPU or a good CPU ? lol cause in that case Ram has no effect , i have never had any luck running in direct mode, and stoped using GPU in buffer when Xplotter came out.

well I already mentioned to the others, don't answer the question with "mining" in mind, answer it with what do you do daily on that computer that would benefit you personally every single day... if you play lots of games a better GPU should be the focus, if you use a lot of applications a better CPU should be the focus, perhaps if he's running out of system RAM then he should focus on that...

plotting is a single event that doesn't need to be done again after its been completed, unless you add more drives, so you should approach this with the mindset of, it took me 2 days to plot, now what will I do with this for the next 363 days of the year, hence why how you use the computer should be the focus...

ultimately for this particular cryptocurrency more HDD space would be better than a faster CPU/GPU in general, unless those are both saturated and he can't read through all his plots in time, but if he has so few plots he likely hasn't reached that point at all, even with low end hardware... he could alternatively if he has a boot drive that is an old HDD, he could upgrade to an SSD and now use that old boot drive to create more plots on, so he not only increases his overall enjoyment of his computer and applications, but he expands his plot capacity at the same time... a win win for every day use and mining...

improve your daily life first, your mining life second...

P.S. I mean what if the guy responds and says he has an i7-7700k CPU with 32GB RAM and an 1080 TI GPU... we would both be screaming he doesn't need to upgrade anything, and should be getting more HDD space... but we don't know, because he didn't post his information, so we're at a complete loss for specific answers and can only give vague general ideas to work with...

• @Darkbane , you can't fit 4096000 nonces on a 1TB drive. 3815000.

• @rds said in If you had to choose:

@Darkbane , you can't fit 4096000 nonces on a 1TB drive. 3815000.

well I'm not using a 1TB drive, but I do create 1TB files with 4096000 so perhaps there can be some clarification for all there...

on my disk, this comes out to 0.97 TB (1,073,741,824,000 bytes) per file...

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.