RPi / ARM Cross-Platform/Architecture Miner - Anybody Interested?

• Hi folks,

New to forums and I've been looking at Burst for the last month and have been having a play around with it. I thought best way to get stuck in would be to dive into the deep end and write some plotting and mining software mainly for fun. I know there's already tonnes out there and this may not bring a lot to the table but I thought I'd share it.

What I've ended up with from a mining perspective seems to work fine. I've designed it so it can relatively easily run on a whole selection of hardware - not just x64 PCs. Specifically I've tested this on Windows/Linux PC builds as well as a Raspberry Pi running Linux. It should also run on any ARM-based CPU that can run either Windows ARM (8+) or Linux (Ubuntu easiest for sorting out dependencies).

I haven't packaged this as binaries yet or with installers as I'm not sure if it's even of interest to anyone considering the selection of software that's out there already. I'd like to get an idea of whether anyone is actually interested in using this. If people are I'm happy to put the time in to keep it maintained and also pick up work around a plotter for this as well.

Feel free to check the code out for now at Github: https://github.com/guytp/burst-sharp - it requires Dotnet core to be installed to run it (I did a recent YouTube video on this with supporting instructions at https://guyrobottv.wordpress.com/2017/06/23/installing-net-core-2-on-a-raspberry-pi/). If anybody wants a pre-built DLL for this now to have a play with I can put one together.

If anyone is interested let me know. As an indication RPi mining (over a network share) was ~5MBps on some unoptimised plots that accessing same share/plots via a PC running Creep was pulling 20MBps. Haven't done any direct USB tests yet. Whilst I'm not sure the Pi is the solution some of the Octa-core ARM boards with USB3/gigabit ethernet could well be an incredibly low-powered way to run mining farms which is what got me thinking.

Thanks,

Guy

• I would actually love to try this.
    I already set up creepminer on the raspberry pi 1, but the problem is low read speeds, I am just doing about 5MB/s via USB.

• This post is deleted!

• For anybody that's interested I've just created the readme detailing current state of the project and installation instructions over at GitHub and a first release of the miner.

GitHub Readme: https://github.com/guytp/burst-sharp

Miner v0.1.597: https://github.com/guytp/burst-sharp/releases/tag/v0.1.597.0

Screenshot

• Oh yes there's interest. Lots of interest. Raspberry Pi Burst miner yes please. Particularly if you can take advantage of AVX2 instructions and/or OpenCL. I don't know if those little processors even support such things.

• i will try it out i am having trouble currently plotting drives but will try later, i am trying to get a asset or 2 right now and it would be awesome if someone donated a few coins thanks.

• @guytp Wait a tick... RPis don't even have USB 3.0 yet? That'll bottleneck read speeds on any large drive.

Unless maybe we used a bunch of these (assuming they're available): http://roseapplepi.org/

Stick a four port hub on each one and you got a 32TB miner for about $70 (plus HDDs and peripherals).

• Sorry for delay replying - been away for a few days.

@sevencardz yes the Pi is USB 2 but to be honest the CPU isn't up for much more hashing than you can read data at USB2 speeds anyway. I have considered buying one of these http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php - USB3 and Gigabit Ethernet with 8 core ARM CPU significantly faster than a Pi3. This may have potential as a low-powered ARM miner although I'm yet to order one.

• @guytp Very interesting. Although it looks like both USB 3.0 ports are off of the same hub/controller, so we would still be limited to about four drives on each device, assuming the CPU is reasonably fast at reading them. I wonder if the IO expansion ports can be adapted into USB 3.0 or SATA controllers as well.

Maybe we could get some donations from the community for your project. I'd be willing to put 1000 Burst toward this project if others would be willing to put up the rest to purchase the device.

• @guytp Defenetly there is interest... I don't have a RPi or any ARM CPU except for my mobile otherwise I would be already testing this hahahah

• @guytp really nice! Just fell in love with those ODROID computers :)

• My time has been totally sucked up recently with an ICO I'm managing elsewhere so haven't checked back on here. I am going to look at buying an odroid next month - I'll see if I can get it working to mine, if it does I'll happily take some donations towards it but to let me get through the current mayhem which is other projects I won't solicit them at the moment :)

Currently best low-powered option I have is a J1900 celeron but again limited to not much more than 4 drives - with only a single PCIe lane spare after one USB3 and onboard SATA2 that's capable of running maybe 7 drives (2 over the SATA2 pulling in ~150MBps each, 4 on USB3 managing about the same, 1 over gigabit ethernet at another 100MBps). That uses about 10 W TDP at rest.

The ODroid would likely use no more than 10W at load actually computing plus works out cheaper than full cost. I've got 8 disks in my main miner at the moment and the internal case temps are 42 degrees with good cooling, kicking out that much heat in summer is certainly making me want to go for something lower cost/power.

I'm hoping I'll get to this in a couple of months in a working state and can then get an idea of drives per watt between the two. I'm also considering trying one of the latest generation celeron Nucs as that should have slightly more bandwidth than the other ones.

I will report back :)

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.