Bulk Purchase ?

• admin

For my new Pennywise server I got a good price on disks from an eBay vendor - around $22/TB, with free shipping

If there is sufficient interest I might be able to get the same deal for a bulk community purchase. If you'd like to buy at this level, post your interest and how many drives you'd want to buy. I cant guarantee getting the same price I got. If I can't I'll void the the whole thing, but if I can, I'll take every post expressing interest as a commitment to buy that many drives. So, please, don't just post on wishful thinking - if you can and will purchase the drives, tell me how many.

• @haitch What size is each drive?

• admin

@dfinc Guess I should of posted that ... they're 8TB WD Drives. New. 5400 RPM. Model is the same as in the WD MyBooks

• i'd love to get them i could install 20 of them here. And thats before usb too.

• Nice would be a good deal but remember that if these drives are shucked from mybooks then WD will provide zero warranty on the drives. So you only get the N days with the ebay seller if anything happens

• @haitch also free shipping to germany ?

• Count me in for a couple.

These are 3.5" internal drives, correct?

• @haitch said in Bulk Purchase ?:

@dfinc Guess I should of posted that ... they're 8TB WD Drives. New. 5400 RPM. Model is the same as in the WD MyBooks

how much cache does it have?

• @haitch So he's selling these?

Western Digital Red NAS WD80EFZX 8TB 5400RPM 128MB Cache SATA III 3.5" HDD

If I shuck them from $500 WD My Books they are about $31.25/TB

500 - 352 = $148 saved on 16TB
    250 - 176 = $74 saved on 8TB

I'd be interested in at least two of them.

• admin

@sevencardz Yep: Western Digital HDD WD80EZZX 3.5in 8TB SATA 6GB/s 5400RPM 128MB Cache

@Yey_09 128MB

@Eq - Yep 3.5" Internals

@Zaziki Unlikely to be free international shipping, but I'll look at what can be worked out.

@manfromafar I don't think they've been shucked. The ebay listing shows bare drives in a sealed antistatic bag. I'd expect them to sell the unit as an uncompromised external unit rather than strip out the drive and sell that separately. I'll check warranties when I receive them.

• admin

@haitch Just talked to my supplier to clear up some questions.

1. Drives will be $177 each, free shipping in the USA. International shipping will be an additional cost,on a case by case basis, and any import/customs fees are the responsibility of the purchaser.

2. The drives are warrantied until 2020, not the usual eBay 30 days.

3. If we can put together an order for more than 100 drives, we'll get better pricing.

The Payment/shipping arrangement will be that you paypal me the funds, I pay my supplier in one bulk payment, with your address and quantity, they'll ship directly.

I'll hold the order window open up to July 3rd. If you want to order, paypal the funds to [email protected] , and include your shipping address in the transfer message. July 3rd I'll submit the order to my supplier, and the drives will ship from there.

H.

1. Drives will be $177 each, free shipping in the USA. International shipping will be an additional cost,on a case by case basis, and any import/customs fees are the responsibility of the purchaser.

3. If we can put together an order for more than 100 drives, we'll get better pricing.

The Payment/shipping arrangement will be that you paypal me the funds, I pay my supplier in one bulk payment, with your address and quantity, they'll ship directly.

I'll hold the order window open up to July 3rd. If you want to order, paypal the funds to [email protected] , and include your shipping address in the transfer message. July 3rd I'll submit the order to my supplier, and the drives will ship from there.

H.

Questions,

What type of OS do you run on your internal drive systems?
    The drives all plug into a SAS2 backplane?
    The backplane supplies the power to the drives without cords?
    The backplane is internally attached to the Mother board?

I have 3 rigs and they're all desktop type computer based some SATA III internals but mostly externals USB 3.0.

I would consider a rig like yours (server with many bays and internal drives) if I could wrap my arms around the server cost. You said yours was 2k. That seems pricy to me. I see many on ebay for less but there must be a catch no? I know you said SAS2 but is SATA III just as good?

Nice the deadline is July 3. I'm going to do some shopping and reading about servers, but if I decide to do it I'm in for 24 drives.

• admin

@rds

1. I run Windows Server on the boxes, but they'll run with any OS - they're bulk standard SATA drives. You need to NTFS format them and mount them to a path instead of a drive letter. My drives are c:\B\00,C:\B\01,C:B\02, C:B\03,.......
    2. Yes, I use a SAS2 controller because I cannot find an affordable SATA3 controller that supports 24 drives. The SAS2 controllers do it with 6 channel controllers, each channel supporting 4 drives.
    3. Yes, the backplane provides power - there are 6 molex power connectors going to the backplane.
    4. The backplane is not directly connected to the motherboard - the backplane has 6 SFF 8087 SAS connectors that are linked by individual cables back to the SAS2 controller,.

SATA3 is just as good as SAS2, but normally the SATA backplanes are a connector per drive - so you need a SATA controller with 24 ports - Avagor does controllers that do 4 drive/port controllers, I have one, but it's only SATA2.

Yes you could build an equal capacity server for less cost, but I chose to go high end on everything - over the top processor's, memory, controller, chassis, because the bulk of the cost of the system is the drives - the chassis was $2K, the drives were $4.2K. For the expansions, the controller is $300-400, the chassis is $2,000, and the drives are $8,000. Capacity is what is going to cost you, spending more than I need to on the system is insignificant overall.

• So look for SAS2 to break the 2TB barrier.

Is one of the 24 drives the OS drive or do you have an extra OS drive as well?

External CD to load an OS?

• admin

@rds Yep SAS2 controller AND backplane to break the 2TB barrier. For the OS I use a 500GB SSD drive connected to one of the systems SATA3 controllers. And specify a large swap file on the SSD.

OS Installed via USB thumb drive.

H.

What if you reached the 100pcs are you going to send back the discount from the $177?

• admin

@Yey_09 If we reach 100 pcs, I'll return the price difference.

@rds Yep SAS2 controller AND backplane to break the 2TB barrier. For the OS I use a 500GB SSD drive connected to one of the systems SATA3 controllers. And specify a large swap file on the SSD.

OS Installed via USB thumb drive.

Does this sound doable??

I have an existing PC computer with six SATA III drives and 25- USB 3.0 external drives running a GPU miner.

Can I put a 6x4 SAS controller PCI card in it and run 6 SAS connectors to a 24 bay server box?

The server box would house the HDDs plugged into the SAS2 backplane. It would also have 1 or 2 integrated power supplies to provide power to the HDDs. The server box would be near enough to the computer box to connect the 6 SAS cords to the SAS controller card in the PC.

No MoBo, Ram etc in the server box.

As I have all my drive letter allocated in the PC, I would continue mounting the 24 new drives as c:\Drive55, c:\Drive56, etc.

What do you think?

• admin

@rds Definitely doable. That's how I plan to expand my servers using: http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847E26-RJBOD1

You'd need a a SAS card with two external connectors, that'll take care of all drives via internal expanders, and the external chassis can be daisy chained to another

• I might be interested in these, at least 30 of them most likely, I'm sure that would help with the 'getting to 100' . Keep me in the loop.

Thanks!

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.