Dell PowerEdge C6100 8x Xeon Quad Core 32GB RAM Node Server

• admin

@Energy For Burst I'd get the first server. Good CPU, plenty of RAM, multiple drives. The C6100 is an interesting beast - it's a blade server, from memory it's 16 Blades - each one an independent dual processor server - but only 2 * 2.5" drives per blade. You could build a mega farm on it, but it would require in depth server and storage controller management knowledge.

• @haitch If but to create plots it would not be faster 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2670 Eight Core 2.60GHz ?
    I know that with the dell I can create 4 disks at a time, but individually Would not it be faster?

I am not an expert in this type of equipment and I think I would handle better with individual servers, I do not know that I would need to expand the dell, nor if my knowledge would be enough

• admin

@Energy The C6100 might be a faster plotter, but the storage would be external, you'd have to verify that the iscsi/fc was compatible between the C6100 and the system you intend to use to mine. The other server is a full self contained plotter/miner. Use the self contained one. I've been offered a C6100, I'm trying to figure out what I'm could to do with it. It's a huge unit - 10U - 18", multiple independent servers. It would make for an awesome replacement for my current cluster, but at 10U + 2U for storage, it'd be $600/month in colo costs, so that's not happening. Unless you really know servers, the C6100 is not something you want to mess with.

• @haitch said in Dell PowerEdge C6100 8x Xeon Quad Core 32GB RAM Node Server:

Unless you really know servers, the C6100 is not something you want to mess with.

That's what scares me, I do not know anything about this kind of servers.
    I think I'm going to decide to buy the 2 x Intel Xeon E5506 Quad Core 2.13GHz, which go for about 220 dollars, for mining, and buy the dell to create the plots, I would use 3 to create the plots and the fourth would use it to create a server for my webs

• @haitch Sorry for the can again, it is possible that these servers do not support 8TB disks or should support them without problem??

• admin

@Energy the C6100 should support 8TB drives, I'd need the model number/controller model to comment on the other server.

• @haitch Of the octa core this is what is
    These servers are particularly unique. They are two-socket Intel foxconn servers Xeon E5-2600 and 16 slots for DIMMS that make the perfect E5-2600 engine at a bargain price. 39 servers below can supply in rack cabinets £9.170 ex VAT each equipped with 16 cores and up to 64 GB ECC DDR3 of RAM each. These servers are designed without a lid for easy maintenance, use the server above them in the rack as your effective top Cabinet. These servers are designed without a lid for easy maintenance, use the server above them in the rack as your effective top Cabinet. Rails for these servers are of medium length and does not fit in a standard rack cabinet, keep in mind.

And on the other I have less data yet
    Chenbro Cloud Server 2x Intel Xeon Quad Core E5506 2.13GHz 72GB RAM Rackable 2U

I'm looking at this too
    IBM QUAD CORE XEON SERVER 3GHZ 8GB ECC RAM SAS XYRATEX HS1235E-23H1-12TB-0IBM

• I was looking in forum for some information about best way to setup server.
    I'm new to subject of servers and i would like to learn and have something out of it with bursts.

I was wondering about buying server below:
    -1 x Supermicro SuperServer System
    -12 x 3.5" Drive Bays including sleds, 6Gbps SAS / SATA compatible expander backplane
    -Supermicro X8DTI-F Dual Socket Motherboard
    -Dual Intel E5645 6 Core @ 2.4Ghz CPU (12 core / 24 thread total)
    -6 x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz ECC RAM Modules
    -12-port 2U SAS 6Gbps expander backplane, support up to 12x 3.5-inch SAS2/SATA3 HDD/SSD
    -AOC-SAS2LP-H8IR Supermicro RAID controller and cable included
    -Dual 1200W Power Supply Included
    -2U rack rails included
    -On-board Dual 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    -Remote access via IPMI

i would like to use it for:

• plotting 4tb+ HDD
    • burst mining
    • set up web page and so on

The price is about 500$ ( i live in europe)

• admin

@Brushek do you have the model number of the back plane? There are a lot of SM servers out there that won't support > 2TB drives, and it's all down to the backplane.

• I will ask seller for that (I assume new one would cost additional 50-100 $ ?).

But if backplane would be ok is it worth it?

ohhh and Thank you for fast reply :)

I also found this one :

for ~600$ (also no info about backplane)

• @haitch , doesn't the SAS2 on the backplane desc imply >2TB?

• admin

@rds I've seen a ton of servers advertized with SAS2 backplanes, but then when you look at the part number for the backplane, it's a SAS1 backplane, that will accept SAS2 drives, of 2TB or less.

without knowing the backplane part number you have no way of knowing.

• admin

@Brushek From the parts list for that one: Backplane: BPN-SAS-827B- that's a SAS1 back plane and will be limited to 2TB

• @Brushek , I will give you my feedback on servers for Burst.

I bought a SuperMicro on ebay. I will tell you, like in real estate location, location, location is the key. The server case is like the location for real estate. Buying a 12 bay server takes up about the same space as the 36 bay server I bought. The 12 bay you're looking at is 2U. The 36 bay is 4U. You get 3x the HDD cap for 2x the real estate. They have 48 bay units but they are beasts, I think @haitch bought one :)

Also, be aware the SuperMicro servers are loud (8x -7000 rpm fans). You can manage the fans for quieter performance with the IPMI interface but only if the server is not working hard. I you are plotting, mining and running a background miner like NiceHash, the fans are on full speed.

Anyway, I love mine, these servers are typically 5 or 6 years old so you can get them for great prices. Mine was a 36 bay with caddies, 2x-Xeon octo core (32 threads) at 2.99GHz that runs at 4.00 GHz. SAS2 controller HBA. Plug and go 36 HDDs. 96GB ram. $1500.

• admin

@rds yeah, they can be loud. When I was plotting I wasn't confident of waking up every morning - figured my wife would kill me to make the noise stop ..... I also can't GPU mine with them, the additional heat from the cards trips the server into more active cooling. But, just Burst mining - I get to live :-)

I'm looking at the 48 Bay units, but also looking at ROI at the moment and holding off - It's a US$10K investment.

• @haitch , yea if I recall the 48 bay units are near 200 lbs. the 36 bay is 100+ lbs. If I set the fans for "optimal" control and only Burst mine, the fans idle and then ramp up like a 747 taking off for each new block scan.

I put a $30 GPU in mine just to enhance the video for Teamview sessions. The $30 GPU scans in 120 secs, the CPUs, 30 secs.

• admin

@rds I'm CPU mining:

18:57:45 Thread "c:\B\19" @ 24.5 sec (57.0 MB/s) CPU 56.60%
    100% 127599 GB (1302.87 MB/s). Deadline = 59629 Connection: 100% │

• Thanks for great response. I won't lie i would prefer something "quieter" so if those are laud maybe you can point me in better direction.
    I also would prefer 32 bays or more but i couldn't find those in reasonable price.

I would prefer not going much more than 600-700$ +hdds because after that price i rather buy external drives for my normal PC :)

I would like to get from that also opportunity to "play" with servers and learn something new.

• @Brushek , I have the server rig I mentioned and two other rigs, mostly externals drives. The server is rock solid. The externals are good but need attention periodically, also not nearly as fast.

If I was going to add on to my current farm (which I'm not doing right now), I would only get another server.

Here is a recent block.

0_1504399955553_3ca5be93-1810-4efa-994f-d10dc2d62b99-image.png

• admin

@Brushek find a server chassis with sufficient drive bays, and a SAS2 backplane, then add a modern CPU/motherboard and suitable SAS HBA(s)

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.