Plotting Very Slow - 5TB Seagate Drive

• Hi there,

I just started plotting a 5TB drive and the nonce generation is ok at ~ 4,000/minute however the disk writing is very slow bringing the overall speed down to ~1,000 nonces written per minute. That means it will take like 12 days to plot this drive. I haven't used any custom settings just ran this through the burst client for windows v0.3.9.3

I have heard that the Seagate drives are SMR and that is why they are slow. Is there anything I can do other than use a different drive?

Thanks for your help!

• Hi, which drive it is?
    Did you plug it in usb3 ?

• It can be also that pc resources is used by other programs and that is making plotting slower.

• I have a Seagate 4TB drive that's been plotting for the last 4 days and currently on 83%. It is no faster on either of my 2 machines, it's connected via sata 3 and there's nothing in/on my machines that would slow it down, I started to plot a 4TB USB 3.0 WD drive 12 hours after this one and that completed 2 days ago. I have to assume it is a Seagate issue and nothing that you might be doing wrong.

• @Snoops , you can plot faster by writing the plot to a PMR drive and then copying the file to the SMR. I bought 5TB PMR to specifically be my "plotter" drive.

• Yea, I've heard how bad Seagates are. According to haitch, they tend to break easily and are extremely slow.
    Never had one before, but I don't think I will be buying one.
    Consider getting something like a Western Digital or something else than a Seagate.

• admin

@p0int_scale The problem with the current high capacity Seagates is that they're SMR, which are simply painful for plotting optimized. I have two 8TB drives plotting now, and they're going to take at least another two weeks to complete. I tried plotting to a PMR drive (Seagate SAS Enterprise drive) and then copying to the SMR drives - turned out that was going to take even longer than just plotting the two drives simultaneously. So, Seagate 8TB SAS PMR drive, plotted in 16 hours, Seagate 8TB SMR drives, at least 21 days.

• @haitch rip
    I'm impatient. Thanks for the info, was planning to buy a Seagate but I think I change my mind. With my impatience, waiting weeks to plot, I wouldn't like it at all.

• They seem to work fine when plotted it seems, It's just the plotting that take a ridiculous amount of time to do.

• admin

@p0int_scale I have 18TB of SAS drives due in the next few days, will interrupt plotting the SMR drives for a day or so while I plot those. The SMR drives mine just fine, it's the plotting them that's killing me.

• @p0int_scale said in Plotting Very Slow - 5TB Seagate Drive:

Yea, I've heard how bad Seagates are. According to haitch, they tend to break easily and are extremely slow.
    Never had one before, but I don't think I will be buying one.
    Consider getting something like a Western Digital or something else than a Seagate.

I have 43 seagate SMR drives, all are working like a charm. Best $/TB out there.

• admin

@rds Did you plot them optimized? If so, how? The ones I'm currently doing are driving me nuts with how slow they are.

• @haitch said in Plotting Very Slow - 5TB Seagate Drive:

@rds Did you plot them optimized? If so, how? The ones I'm currently doing are driving me nuts with how slow they are.

hey, I'm not saying that PMR to SMR is fast but fast than straight to PMR.

my small laptop only does ~3500 n/min on xplotter but iirc the straight to smr used to take about 2.5 days, effectively 1000 n/min because of the reduced write times to the disc.

Writing to PMR gets me the full 3500 n/min so about 20 hours/TB. The transfer adds about 4 hours, so a day/TB. If you have a faster machine, it should scale up accordingly.

• admin

@rds Maybe it's a problem with these drives then. Windows was estimating 15 days to copy an 8TB plot from the PMR to the SMR. Plotting them directly, the PC can calculate at > 30,000 nonce/min, but I'm getting drive write speeds of around 5MB/sec, so effective plotting speed just sucks.

• @haitch said in Plotting Very Slow - 5TB Seagate Drive:

@rds Maybe it's a problem with these drives then. Windows was estimating 15 days to copy an 8TB plot from the PMR to the SMR. Plotting them directly, the PC can calculate at > 30,000 nonce/min, but I'm getting drive write speeds of around 5MB/sec, so effective plotting speed just sucks.

yea that's 5-6 MB/sec which is the average write speed I used to see for the direct plot to SMR. When I do my PMR to SMR transfer I see anywhere from 12-100 MB/sec. 12 when the miner is scanning or other such activities are going on.

• admin

@rds Copying from PMR to a freshly formatted SMR, I never exceeded 10MB/s. Plotting two drives concurrently was going to be faster than plotting the PMR then copying it over. It's not a controller issue - when mining I get 400-500MB/sec throughput. I know they will mine just fine, but the plotting of them frustrates the hell out of me.

• @haitch , strange, I am copying a file right now on the laptop from my PMR plotting drive (USB 3.0) to an SMR connected through a USB 2.0 and getting 30 MB/s, which is the max I've ever seen on 2.0. That drive is connected to 2.0 because my 3.0 controller on the laptop ran out of endpoints so I have 2-4TBs plugged into USB 2.0.

• 0_1494858577416_upload-8611087a-4aab-4f33-bc93-1c2896281d54

• I am now plotting with my pc on my SSD drive, writing takes just few seconds to complete. I am doing it in chunks of 100 GB and I have available like 500 GB only for the plotting space, then it's just a matter to copy them to the other drives I am going to be using for mining while keep plotting.. Otherwhise with an SMR drive will take forever to complete!

• @vExact that's better than a PMR for sure and I have a 500GB SSD as well. I did what you did but now I don't like the tremendous amount of 100GB files (OCD). In fact, I'm now replotting all my drives from 100GB to 1 TB files. I think 1TB is the sweet spot, for me anyway.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.