Need rig recommendations please help

• Hey all since I am familiar with building my own rigs but not familiar with building mass storage rigs (for Burst mining) I wanted to ask for help and recommendations on a rig build budget is as follows:

Optimal Rig Cost (Minus HDDs) - $1500-$1750

Maximum Rig Cost (With HDDs) - $3000-$3600

Thanks in advance guys.

• @socal Logical consideration is USD/TB .. however, and since difficulty factor is rising and Burst pricing is pumping, I strongly suggest you get 8TB drives for your RIG.

I'm very satisfied with WD MyBook Duo 16TB. It comes with 2 8TB WD RED (5400RPM) which is more than enough for Burst Mining and the HDD will keep its value for long time and price is 500$ (cheaper than buying drives separately).
    I got 2 of them (32TB ~ 1000$) and planning to get me another 2.

The debate about 7200RPM drives for less dollar value and faster is not valid, 7200 drives (WD Black) might be little cheaper but probability of getting damaged is higher than the RED series.

• Well currently I'm thinking of getting a cheap refurbished server that has some serious CPU and RAM power for plotting and mining C&C and then having a 12 bay NAS case appropriated for HDD mining

• If what I'm planning proves feasible, I can get the comp, case, and case PSU for about $1000 which leaves $2250-$2500 for HDD to go into the NAS case

• @socal I have 3 of the best NAS boxes in the market plotted and mining with high capacity. Also have SATA on MotherBoard and SATA on PCIE card and USB drives.
    My advice is to stick with directly attached drives (SATA, USB, etc.) for Burst mining and avoid NAS drives.

A simple suggestion:
    Case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091IZ1ZG 110$
    MotherBoard (120$) + CPU (300$) + GPU (250$) + PSU (140$): 810$
    Internal Drives: Start with 4x 8TB (1200$) and later expand to x15 (3300$ + 200$ for PCIE2SATA card)
    External drives: Start with 2x WD 16TB (1000$) and expand as much as you want with USB.
    Total investment for 64TB (without expansion) : 3120$
    ROI: 650$ /month at current price ~ 4.5 Months

• @rnahlawi OUTSTANDING!! The case was really where I was getting stuck but you have solved that problem nicely with your link good sir! Yes I'll do some hunting for motherboards and CPUs is there anything in particular I should be looking for like number of SATA or PCIe connectors?

• @socal Motherboard: anyone will do (try to get one with as much SATA ports possible)
    CPU: I priced the i7 7700 (to be used for Plotting using Xplotter) and later to maintain the wallet or other related apps, you may go higher for XEON (but why?)
    GPU: RX480 8GB (Sapphire or XFX GTR models) to be used for Mining (don't settle for less).
    SATA/PCIE: That's tricky, you can get something simple like mine which will support Burst Mining mission (but not for intensive I/O operations) https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Non-Raid-SI-PEX40064/dp/B01BBXMLQK
    Or something advanced like: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/cs-series_DC7280.htm and relax .. @luxe can give you his advice from his own experience.

• @socal

for plotting:
    look at GPU support, forget CPU. I plotted a few hundred Terabytes with three (now ancient and cheap) R9-280x. Each of those cards yield > 150MB/s.
    You'd need 20 cores @ 2.1 GHz AVX2 to beat a single GPU. If your CPU has only SSE4 and no AVX2, double the number.

for mining:
    My CPU (2x E5-2650v3ES) mines 108 MB/s per core (@2.1 GHz with AVX2 code, with SSE4 it is about 60 MB/s).
    I don't have any numbers for the jminer, but you can easily expect 8x increase.
    So depending on your target size (TB) and mining goal (scantime <NN seconds) you might get away with a cheap quadcore or should invest into a GPU (to avoid an overly pricey CPU).

example:
    target size: 64 TB, target time: 20 seconds
    64*2^40 bytes / 4096 / 20s = 858993459 bytes/s
    ~850 MB/second must be read for a duration of 20s.
    This is a good candidate for GPU-assited mining.

target size: 128 TB, target time: 90 seconds
    128*2^40 bytes / 4096 / 90s = 381774870 bytes/s
    380 MB/second must be read for 90 seconds.
    This is a good candidate for a quadcore with AVX2 support. BUT: System is at ~100% load for 90 seconds every 240 seconds.

• @vaxman yes I'm planning on getting the i7-7700K in conjunction with a GTX 1070 and 32GB of RAM so there should be plenty of power for mining.

• Build specs at this moment are coming out $3100 for a Brand New C&C computer and another 48TB of Mining capacity with room for another 72TB of internal mining capacity

Please note this doesn't factor in any shipping costs or taxes.

• I'm trying to stay away from externals for now I have too many already which is the point of getting the 15 bay case lol

• Ok bedtime but before I go I will say I'm pleased with the rig I have picked out, I would have liked it if it were about $200 cheaper but I think I struck the best balance between cost, quality, and performance. Total rig cost (minus HDDs, tax and shipping) is $1295

• Here is screen shots of the proposed rig and the components.

m.imgur.com/a/Jnj4G

• @socal
    I'd go for a larger board with more PCIe slots. No way to grow with that one.
    I'd ditch this expensive GPU and buy a used one, prefereably AMD.

Have to admit that my experience with opencl code is limited to this exact scenario, but 2+ years ago.
    Please have a concentrated look into the mining section to find specifics and perhaps comparisons between
    various Nvidia and AMD chips. It might very well be that the most bang/buck is to be had with a 100$ used GPU(s).

• Because your disks will be running 24/7 i recommend some cooling such as case fan arrangements or attach a cooling kit on the underside of them to keep the spindle bearings cooler.

• @vaxman said in Need rig recommendations please help:

I'd ditch this expensive GPU and buy a used one, prefereably AMD.
    Have to admit that my experience with opencl code is limited to this exact scenario, but 2+ years ago.
    Please have a concentrated look into the mining section to find specifics and perhaps comparisons between
    various Nvidia and AMD chips. It might very well be that the most bang/buck is to be had with a 100$ used GPU(s).

I would go along with sticking with AMD, and seriously consider a used card.

I have an old R9-290X and with 80TB the scan time is 10 seconds.

Rich

• Ok I have replaced the GTX 1070 with a GTX 1060 and I have replaced the 32GB of RAM with 16GB bringing total Rig Cost down to $1144 from $1410(minus HDDs, shipping, and taxes)

I am also contemplating if I should just go ahead and get an 8 Port SATA controller now or if I should wait until I actually require it. Sorry I have a tendency to Futureproof (hence the original 1070 and 32GB RAM lol)

• admin

@socal As others have said, reconsider the nVidia card - AMD better proposition.

Also avoid NAS - you're limited to network speed, and unless you have a 10Gb/s connection, you're going to be bandwidth limited.

• @haitch yeah I'm staying away from NAS and I just can't let my Nvidia bias go lol ok ok I'll look for an RX 480

• admin

@socal A used 280X is more than enough.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.