Question about miner read speeds

• Hi all,

My miner is getting an average readspeed of 55 Mb/s for 2 threads (approx 28 Mb/s per thread). The miner is reading my 2 external drives at approx 62 seconds.
    During mining approx. 75 % of the processor power is used (have also some other apps running on this computer I cannot turn off). My plots are plotted with XPlotter so they should already be optimized.

Are these acceptable read speeds? I read somewhere it should be 30 seconds or below.
    If not, what can I do to improve this?
    I'm also considering buying an external case and put some WD 8TB red label internal disks into it. Will adding additional TB's / threads have an overall positive or negative impact on the read speeds?

I already put my computer in "High Performance" modus and I unchecked the sleep modus for both external harddisks.
    Further I gave the miner process a higher priority then the other processes running on my computer to get more processor power.

My setup:
    2 external Western Digital MyBook 8 TB are hooked to my computer on 2 USB 3.0 ports.
    My computer is a DELL laptop with following specs:

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M460 @2.53 Ghz
    • 8 RAM (Windows 10 - 64 bit - x64 processor)
    • My plots are plotted with XPlotter so they should already be optimized
    • I'm running the miner "miner-burst-1.160705" from the graphical interface wallet (version 1.2.8 )

Thanks all for your input.

Regards,
    Sven

• Looks right to me. To get the 30 sec scans on 8TB drives you need a standalone GPU. Thing is if you add more drives you will still finish in 60 seconds until you get over the parallel scan limit.

• Thanks for your input.
    Any idea how many 8TB drives I could add to the same computer before getting over this parallel scan limit?

• @SvenE , with my $350 laptop, USB 3.0 I get 220MB/s so I would say 8 drives. I have 26 drives, and scan at about 145 sec although a few of them are on usb 2.0 because for some reason my USB 3.0 controller won't recognize all of them even though the usb 2.0 port will.

• admin

@SvenE You can try using jminer, some reported faster read times ... if your hardware however limits the speed ... software can not improve it.
    I suggest to extend your setup drive by drive ... monitor your system, and you will be able to see if a few more drives work or not.

• @luxe , I have an integrated GPU on y laptop. When I start Jminer it says there are 256 computing units, but only 24 are available. Is there a way to free up those units for the Jminer? My scans with the Jminer are about the same speed as CPU. I know if I had a better card Jminer would be faster, maybe if I had 128 computing units available to Jminer my scans would be awesome.

• admin

@rds sry no idea how to free this resources, you will benefit most from jminer if cpu is at 100% and limiting the mining process ... but some also reported faster read times without that ... however giving it a try can not hurt :-)

• @luxe ,

thank, with this machine I use both. I like that Jminer is more hardened to read errors, where the cpu miner will freeze. But i notice that if Jminer is running for a longer time the scan times creep up as if it is eating up resources, so I restart and it seems to go away. I will be downloading the 49 version sometime today.

• admin

@rds i noticed read times vary a lot depending on processed sccopNumber (outter sectors are faster than inner sectors maybe) But a lot of things may have influence ... i can run jminer over weeks without increasing memory or read times ...

• @luxe said in Question about miner read speeds:

@rds i noticed read times vary a lot depending on processed sccopNumber (outter sectors are faster than inner sectors maybe) But a lot of things may have influence ... i can run jminer over weeks without increasing memory or read times ...

I use 1TB files so I think my scoops are equally distributed over the cylinder.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.