Nonce start number and more

• Hi All,

Some noob questions incoming, couldn't find it anywhere :)

Question 1:
    I started plotting:
    [0%] Generating nonces from 400000001 to 400032769

Why does it start at 400000001? What does the "4" mean?

Question 2:

I found the following text under the FAQ of mining by @haitch :

You can thiink of each nonce as a lottery ticket - someone with 10TB has a lot more tickets than someone with 1TB, and each ticket has the same chance of winning. The bigger miner will win more often, but any miner can get a lucky ticket.

Would it make any difference if I do not start at nonce 0? I mean everyone starts at 0 so would it make sense to have unique nonce numbers?

Many thanks!

• @Darrylglenn Even if every Miner used a start nonce of zero then all of the resultant Plots would be different because they are Hashed with the Miners unique numeric ID.

So feel free to use whatever start nonce you want. The only thing to be careful with is that when you plot subsequent drives ensure there is no overlap in the nonces used.

Rich

• Thanks Rich!

Another question that popped up:

Is it better to have large plot files or max them at e.g. 1TB?

• @Darrylglenn I have chosen to standardise on 1TB plot files, however there is no hard and fast rule.

Back when I got started plotting and optimising were separate processes and I was using 4TB & then 5TB Drives so this made it easy to plot on one drive and optimise to another.

These Days using xplotter you can do the process in one go. Start with some smaller plots to ensure you have everything sorted then I would not go below 1TB but feel free to just fill the Drive with a single plot.

There is almost no difference in the scan speed for 5 x 1TB v 1 x 5TB plot.

Rich

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.