Mining and Plotting: Need help with a group of questions

• Hello Burst team,

Please help me out with these questions. I thank you in advance.

Plotting -

Can I plot on one PC and take that drive and mine it on another PC? I am assuming that as long as I track my plot numbers I can. Plot drive one at plot 00001 to 10009, then plot drive two at 10010 to 19999, etc. etc. and move these drives to another PC and mine them. Keeping in mind that I cannot duplicate the plot numbers at any point. Am I correct?

Can I plot 2 more more drives at once as long as I control my plot numbers?

Mining -

Can I mine and plot at the same time on the same PC?

What technology is required to run the mining pools website. For example, if I go to http://burst.ninja , what plug ins etc do I need to see everything?

What is the best browser to use for the mining pools websites?

Thanks,
    OA_Wolf

• @OA_Wolf said in Mining and Plotting: Need help with a group of questions:

Hello Burst team,

Please help me out with these questions. I thank you in advance.

Plotting -

Can I plot on one PC and take that drive and mine it on another PC?
    Yes

I am assuming that as long as I track my plot numbers I can. Plot drive one at plot 00001 to 10009, then plot drive two at 10010 to 19999, etc. etc. and move these drives to another PC and mine them.

Keeping in mind that I cannot duplicate the plot numbers at any point. Am I correct?

each plot has accountID_startingnonce_numberOfNonces_staggersize

Once the nonces do not overlap you are good.

Can I plot 2 more more drives at once as long as I control my plot numbers?
    yes you can

Mining -

Can I mine and plot at the same time on the same PC?

Yes, but mining speed will be reduced while you are plotting.

What technology is required to run the mining pools website. For example, if I go to http://burst.ninja , what plug ins etc do I need to see everything?
    From a miner perspective, just a miner and browser

From a pool owner perspective, there are two main types of pools, ninja style & uray style pools each need a server to run the pool software.

What is the best browser to use for the mining pools websites?

Chrome, imho.

Thanks,
    OA_Wolf

• Thank you for the quick response. This sparks a few more questions.

Please help me understand the stagger size. Is this your RAM? How does it work? What number do I input in respect to the amount of RAM I have? What if I upgrade my RAM later? From say 8GB to 16GB etc.

What is the best plotter to use? The default wallet one? Or is there a better one?

Thank you,
    OA_Wolf

• admin

@OA_Wolf By default the Windows Wallet uses Xplotter_avx which is the desired CPU plotter - it creates optimized plots, and the amount of RAM you have doesn't really matter.

• @OA_Wolf If you have a powerful GPU on hand, then you can use the GPU Plot Generator: https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/58/gpu-plot-generator-v4-0-3-win-linux
    It tends to eat up all of your available RAM during plotting though, so it's usually best to do nothing else but plot while plotting with it. Using a separate machine to plot to several drives at once is ideal. Plot files are just files so they can be moved, copied, etc.

Here's the configuration I use with my GTX 1070:

devices.txt (uses 1 GB VRAM + 1 GB RAM)
    0 0 4096 512 128

makeplots.bat (writes ~500GB plot files to two drives)
    gpuPlotGenerator generate direct E://Burst/plots/XXX_0_1904640_10240 F://Burst/plots/XXX_19046400_1904640_10240
    gpuPlotGenerator generate direct E://Burst/plots/XXX_1904640_1904640_10240 F://Burst/plots/XXX_20951040_1904640_10240

• @sevencardz said in Mining and Plotting: Need help with a group of questions:

Plot files are just files so they can be moved, copied, etc.

Does the Speed (& Cache) of the HD used for Burst Plotting have any impact on the Time taken? Is it worth allocating one Fast Drive just for Plotting (assuming there are several workers)?

And is the Optimized Plot Size relevant? For example, could 4x 2Tb plots be transferred over to one 8Tb HHD without detriment?

• admin

@BeholdMiNuggets said in Mining and Plotting: Need help with a group of questions:

Does the Speed (& Cache) of the HD used for Burst Plotting have any impact on the Time taken? Is it worth allocating one Fast Drive just for Plotting (assuming there are several workers)?

Yes, if you have a fast GPU usually the drive is the bottleneck while plotting. If you plot to a SSD for example, plotting would be faster than plotting to a 'normal' HDD. If you plot optimized, SSD would be a big advantage. But, the fact that you need to copy over the plotfile after plotting will maybe result in not that big advantage.

And is the Optimized Plot Size relevant? For example, could 4x 2Tb plots be transferred over to one 8Tb HHD without detriment?

Yes

• @BeholdMiNuggets said in Mining and Plotting: Need help with a group of questions:

Is it worth allocating one Fast Drive just for Plotting (assuming there are several workers)?

Yep, what @luxe said. Speed of the drives and cache can make a difference, but only if you have a GPU that can churn out nonces fast enough. I prefer to use my 7200 RPM NAS drives for plotting since they're noticeably faster than the 5400 RPM ones if I use the GTX 1070. However, I only bother with copying plot files over if I need to fill up SMR drives that take forever to plot to directly.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.