Need advice on building a rig with HDD's

• @pr0cesor
    On the cheaper end of SATA III controllers, one of the 8 or 16 ports ones lists in the link below.
    http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=64_77_85

0_1487874741395_syba_8_and_16_port_controllers.png Another consideration is power usage, USB hubs, and USB 3.0 external drives also use power adapters. Whereas connecting the drives drives directly would use less. Also the less complex a system the less that can go wrong.

• @iKnow0 said in Need advice on building a rig with HDD's:

@pr0cesor
    On the cheaper end of SATA III controllers, one of the 8 or 16 ports ones lists in the link below.
    http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=64_77_85

Another consideration is power usage, USB hubs, and USB 3.0 external drives also use power adapters. Whereas connecting the drives drives directly would use less. Also the less complex a system the less that can go wrong.

Sorry for the noobish question but for what those SATA3 controllers would be? The WD red label drives? Or the drives with usb 3.0?

And previously I was talking about this Seagate drive

alt text

It has 2 usb ports, 1 for usb3.0 and the second for power (That's what I read from the website)

---EDIT

Ok I understand now about the SATA3 controllers, those are for the WD red label drives and I just have to power the 16 drives to a PSU for example. And SATA controllers are better than USB hubs right? in term of speed reading and data transfering. The WD red label drive would be then less consuming power if the would be powered directly by the PSU instead of the USB hubs, make sens. Am I right? :D (sorry I was thinking loud xD)

• @pr0cesor Any SATA III drive, or a SATA drive that can do 6Gb/s(They are one and the same). Inside all of external USB3.0 drives is a SATA III drive that can be extracted and connected via a SATA cable directly to a SATA controller. The drives would be powered by the PC power supply via a molex cable.

0_1487876808816_IMG_20170203_213113.jpg

• @iKnow0 The before setup...

0_1487876897214_MainRig.jpg

• Cool thank u. I will take this in consideration, I have a gaming PC, I have already a gtx970, asrock z77 extrem 4 mobo, 16gb ram, i7-3770k OC to 4.4 ghz gonna just have to look on the drive bay again to see how many drives will fit inside. ^^

Edit---

I can fit 8 - 3.5" HDD trays - all compatible with SSDs, 2 - 2.5" extra SSD positions in my case (from producer website)

• @pr0cesor good luck with your build...

• @iKnow0 said in Need advice on building a rig with HDD's:

@pr0cesor good luck with your build...

How my build sounds? :D will it work?

• @pr0cesor my advice, start small then add to it. Issue will arise and there is a learning curve.

• if you have the room for lots of hook ups lowest price i found is on new egg 2tb 47$ all the reviews say they loud as crap but work good https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD3KE4333

• they have cheeper if you dont mind refurbished but i dont use refurbished HDD's

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.