Looking for a build.

• @elesdii @sevencardz is correct plus you are not going to pull a lot of energy for a while.

• @sevencardz @croydan1 ok cool thank you guys for the input :) i shall post some photos in the coming weeks after i get her all ordered and put together!

• @sevencardz i7 3770K is the way to go for Reading Plots. I actually have a 6 Core i7 2011 that reads back slower than my 3770K. I would stay away from the i3 and i5 if you are planning on expanding drives. My chips are older so the newer versions would most likely be faster and better.

• @CryptoNick Are you using the CPU or the GPU miner? In my example, I was assuming GPU miner would be used because you can save $100 or more going with an unlocked i5 and overclocking it and then put the $100 toward a decent GPU. For example, I use an old AMD FX-8350 with a GTX 950 and it scans 50TB of optimized plots in 20 seconds.

• @sevencardz Sorry got busy... If you get a good enough card sure. I tested a Celeron 2 cores, that I used to have running my Graphics Miners for X11. You can get away with it on that kind of hashing with risers, but I don't know about Plotting, it is still memory intensive since you write from Memory to the drive. Direct plotting may be the only difference. But never tested it. The celeron just bogged out in JMiner trying to mine the drives with a very powerful Video card. I think it was an R290X like $350. I didn't try to plot with it though.

i5 would be minimum in my opinion...

• Don't know if anybody has mentioned this, but you can get a PCI-E card to add SATA ports. I have a PCI-E X1 card that adds 4 SATA ports, it seems to be decently fast, even when talking to multiple drives, at the same time. I think I get about 250MB/s to 300MB/s when talking to 2 drives. I think I got mine for about $20 to $25.

• admin

@Tate-A SAS Array controllers are also a good option. 8 - 16 ports for $50 or less off eBay. SAS Controllers can run both SAS and SATA drives, so they're a cost effective way of adding a lot of drives - and they tend to be FAST.

• @haitch said in Looking for a build.:

@Tate-A SAS Array controllers are also a good option. 8 - 16 ports for $50 or less off eBay. SAS Controllers can run both SAS and SATA drives, so they're a cost effective way of adding a lot of drives - and they tend to be FAST.

Link to one of these said fast ones please?

• admin

@Focus

Right on target price 8 x 6Gb ports @ $49.99 It's an external controller, but I'm using one of them, just run the SAS Cables back into the chassis through the adjacent slot.

LSI SAS Controller 1

This one is over my $50 target, but 8 x 6Gb ports @ $65.

LSI SAS Controller

Expander card to convert your 4/8 Port card to a 24 Drive card, albeit @ 3Gb - $25

SAS Expander

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.