Looking for a build.

• Im currently mining with 16tb on my gaming rig but want to build a dedicated mining rig. I dont really wanna spend over 1k but will maz out at 1.5k anyone experienced enough to help me build one? Im currently at work so i wont be qble to reply till my breaks or when i get done in 5 hrs. Thanks in advance!

• @elesdii Are you looking for part selection, or someone to physically build one.

• i can help with the parts selection, just flick me a message when you can

• Part selection, i can put it together. Im just not sure what parts are best for read/write speed and whatever else may make a mining rig better

• CPU - doesn't really matter, maybe get an i3 so you'll have an upgrade path to an i5 later. You can also use the integrated graphics so you can dedicate your GPU for plotting/mining.
    MOBO - you want lots of USB3.0 and SATA ports, USB2.0 is too slow
    GPU - an AMD card is probably best here for OpenGL support, you'll want a powerful one for plotting, but you don't need nearly as much power for mining. You could borrow the GPU from your gaming rig temporarily like I did.
    RAM - 8 - 16 GB will do ya, speed doesn't matter
    HDD - Shoot for 4TB - 8TB drives, leaning in favor of the 8TB ones. Best bang for the buck and less hardware to maintain overall. 10TB drives are still too expensive. Archive style drives are cheaper, but write speed is much slower. However, you only care about read speed once the drives are plotted. For example, I would write plots to two 8TB NAS drives all day using the GPU plotter, then copy the plots over to two 8TB archive drives at night so I could use my GPU for gaming.

• I just got this rig from Craigslist. It's soo going to generate a ton of burst for me. I think I'll quit my job.

https://i.imgur.com/5hOnIQx.jpg

• admin

@haitch bows and worships the awesomeness of SocalGuys new rig .......

• @socalguy That is a um pretty nice rig there (chuckle)

• talk about an OP pc. idk if i can live up to those standards haha but nah i guess what im looking for is a specific parts build for a mining rig. i can put em together im just not great at knowing what to look for in the parts.

• @elesdii Cooler Master HAF X - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with Windowed Side Panel and USB 3.0 Ports used case through NEW EGG is 119.00 new 189.00 I personally like this case for expansion purposes plus you can get very good air flow. NEW!! Haswell-Extreme Bundle: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz Six Core, GeIL Evo POTENZA 16GB(2X 8GB) RAM DDR4 2400, ASRock X99 Extreme4 Motherboard this is for 655.00. for graphics card you could go with this Sapphire Radeon NITRO RX 460 4GB GDDR5 HDMI/DVI-D/DP OC (UEFI) PCI-E Graphics Card (11257-02-20G) for 140.00 or ASUS Dual-fan Radeon RX 460 2GB OC Edition AMD Gaming Graphics Card with DP 1.4 HDMI 2.0 (DUAL-RX460-O2G) for 105.00 and then power supply for play safe 75.00. so for a total of 1140.00 USD and I added 150.00 for fans or any little stuff. All these parts I looked up on New Egg.

Croydan

• This post is deleted!

• admin

• @socalguy well it says right on it, "Never Obsolete"

• @elesdii What you can do is post a shortlist of the items you are thinking of purchasing, have multiple options for each different part and then community can then comment on them. Also you can look at the photos of the rigs other community members have posted to get ideas for yours. https://forums.burst-team.us/topic/2411/everybody-post-their-mining-rigs-show-photos/171

• @croydan1 would a gtx 660 work with that? i have one lying around here somewhere

• @elesdii yes it sure would.

• @croydan1 Take a look at the specs here http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/specifications it will be plenty for what your doing and if you have one that will save you a few bucks.

Croydan

• @croydan1 okay cool, and last thing, i plan on running a BUNCH of hdd's and externals so would a 550w power supply be okay or should i go higher? the case you mentioned is part of a bundle sale with power supplys which im looking to order today

• 550W is plenty for just about any rig unless you're running multiple graphics cards. This tool will also give you a pretty good idea on how much wattage you'll need: http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

We all gotta start somewhere, ya know? Even if all you got is a potato...

alt text

• @elesdii @sevencardz is correct plus you are not going to pull a lot of energy for a while.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.