Plots 101

• Only post Q&As. All discussion here!

Welcome to the Plots 101 mega thread. Here you can find everything your heart desires about plots.

Overview

WIP
    In no apparent order. Feel free to answer the ones you like.

• How are they created? (Technical)
    • How do I optimize a plot? (Write a guide in HowTo's & Tutorials and short information)

I will be giving a bounty of 10000 Burst to each fully answered question or any missing guide, while the bounty address still contains Burst. Contact me to claim it.
    Bounty address: BURST-ZKFG-W7R3-J8YH-5BSDX

• What is a plot?
    A plot is a section of space created for mining burst coins. A plots consist of a number of nonces, which is 256 kb in size.
    The nonces are your machine power, they are the ones delivering deadlines to you. Each round(block) your miner will calculate the deadline of your nonces and broadcast them to the network.

Each plot is connected to a numeric ID. This ID points towards an account address. This account is the account the plots is mining for. You are able to see which address a plots points towards, by searching the first number. 14750531867371072502_0_2097... on any block explorer.
    This means the plots is only connected to an account and not to any pool.

• Do I need to optimize my plots?
    I'm gonna start by saying, that optimizing does NOT give you better deadlines, but only makes you read your plots faster.
    While it is not required, it is recommended by almost everyone. Optimization reduces disk usage, by arranging nonces, which belongs in the same scoop, together in a single group. (See picture) This reduces seek time, which in turns reduces the total read time.

@Blago's plot experiment
    17930413153828766298_69900000_1000000_4000 - not optimized, reading time 3818 ms
    17930413153828766298_64900000_1000000_1000000 - optimized, reading time 2143 ms

This means you able be in on fast rounds, where you would otherwise have lost a block. Example: If you found a 30 seconds deadline after 7 seconds, you would be able to beat someone needing 35 seconds to find a 5 second deadline. (As explained by @luxe)

0_1466538372870_1466538041209-dyhoi_82pdo.jpg Credit to @Blago for picture and technical information

Optimization isn't needed on SSD, while it still works, the benefit is minimal.

• How does optimization work?
    Optimizing plots allows your miner to read your plots faster and with less work. Optimizing works by changing the structure of the plot, so that the plots's nonces are in the scoop they belong to. (See image above) This allows the miner to read 1 scoop at a time, without needing to do any seeking for nonces. (See image below) In a standart plot, the miner needs to find each nonce belonging to the scoop it is currently reading. This is ineffective, because the harddrive needs to do a lot more of seeking to read 1 scoop. In an optimized plot the miner doesn't need to search for the next nonce, because they are right next to each other.
    0_1466540836025_ip.bitcointalk.org.jpeg Credit to @Blago for picture and technical information

• What is plot overlapping??
    Plot overlapping happens when some of your plots overlap. This reduces your total mining power and is a waste of disk space. When plots overlap, you are essentially reading the same nonces twice wasting all of the overlapping nonces. If we compare it to a lottery, it would be like buying a ticket with the same numbers twice.

What does plot overlapping look like?
    ...502_0_1024_ 64 - This plot contains every nonce from 0 to 1024, ending at 1023.
    ...502_512_1024_ 64 - This plot contains every nonce from 512 to 1024, ending at 1535.
    In this example, I'm wasting 512 nonces, reducing my total mining power from 2048 to 1536.

You can check if your plots overlap, by taking the file names of all your plots and entering them here https://bchain.info/BURST/tools/overlap
    Edit: Above link don't work

• Am I able to rename my plot?
    Yes. If your plotter didn't finish the plot, you are able to rename the plot avoiding the error: "file (file name) name/size mismatch." By doing this you are moving the end of the plot down to the last plotted series of nonces. Skipping any nonces not plotted.
    You just need to keep in mind that the new number of nonces still needs to be a multipliyer of the stagger. If you want to be sure you are doing it right, @blago deveolped PlotsChecker to rename the plot for you, without you needing to do anything.

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.