How to Open an EC2 Instance For Free and Mine From Amazon Cloud Drive With Unlimited HDD

• Mining from the cloud could save you a lot of money. This guide will go through the steps needed to open a free Windows Amazon Instance and start mining from ACD. Connecting to Linux instances requires Putty.

Step 1 - Open an ACD account.

The first step is to open an ACD account. There is 3 month free trail and later charged at £55/$60 a year for unlimited space. The opening location of the account is important in later steps to get the fastest speed for uploading/mining plots from AWS Instance.

Step 2 - Open an Account on AWS

You would need to open an account on AWS. Credit card in needed, and it will be charged only if you decide to use the paid EC2 Instances. We are going to setup and initially use the free EC2 instance. An instance is a VPS.

Step 3 - Set up the free Instance

On the main AWS console, click the Services button and from the drop down menu choose EC2. From left hand side navigator click on EC2 Dashboard.

Before lunching an instance choose the location where the instance will be lunched. You can find the location on the top right corner. If ACD was opened in the US choose a US location close to your home. If it was opened in the UK choose Ireland. If in Europe choose Frankfurt etc....

Now click the blue Lunch Instance button. Now choose a Machine Image (AMI) of your choice that is free tier eligible.

Step 4 - Configuring the Instance

After choosing the right AMI for you, choose the Instance type. We are going to choose the t2.micro instance which is free tier eligible. After choosing the Instance press next.

On the next page you can leave the configuration as is, or you can choose the settings for your liking. Press next.

Here we are choosing the size of our HDD. AWS gives us 30GB free to use. I would recommend to use 20 GB of space on Ubuntu, as we would need more space later on if we are going to scale. Choose the default SSD. Press next.

Here we name the instance as we like. Simple. Press next.

Here you can create a security group for the instance. Choose the name of your security group that you can Identify its setting later (security groups can be attached later to any instance). You can set it to be open the all ports and connections. You can also configure the security group to have access from an RDP through a specific port, as you can see in the default. Under the source tab we can set up the ip access to the instance. If you use default/anywhere setting to custom, then all ip's will have access to the Instance. If you choose my IP, then you will have access from your IP only. Press next.

Look over your details of your instance and press lunch. Now choose a key pair that you like to have for logging in into the instance. With the keypair you can decrypt an password for logging into the instance. I recommend to have your own keypair and not using the default.

Choose to download the keypair to your computer to a known location. Press Lunch Instance. Now the instance is being lunched. Press on the view instance button on the bottom of the page.

Continue as we have lunched the Windows EC2 instance. Press on connect and download the RDP file. Now go to the get password and browse for your keypair you have downloaded previously and press decrypt. Now use the password generated to login into the RDP.

For Linux, there are guides on AWS on how to connect into Linux. It's basically using Putty through ssh. The PEM file for the keypair should be converted into pkk file to be used in putty. If there is demand I will post a guide on setting up Linux too.

So you are now connected. I recommend to disable the security for Internet Explorer for not getting a lot of annoying massages. This can be done from the server Tab that's opened when connecting into the VPS. Search for the Internet explorer setting on the local server tab, click it , and choose off.

Step 5 - Start mining

Download Netdrive2, and mount your ACD. Now download the miner. Set the config to the right paths on the mounted ACD and start mining. I recommend that you would set up the plots in multiple files for faster reading times. Good Luck.

p.s

Uploading plots to ACD can take days if you have an average internet connection. As Gpedro mentioned on his guide, plots need to be optimized to have the best performance. ACD only supports uploads of file smaller then 50GB, and supported only from the GUI tool for the OS.
    If you wish I have posted an offer where I can upload plot for you. Either to your ACD account or an account that you can have access to.

• So...how much hard space you can use?...and thank for the info...

• @bvadams1835 ACD is advertised as an unlimited account. How much they are actually allow is unknown. When ACD is mounted it appears as 100TB drive.

• @CoinBuster hey there ^_^

I already tried to use ACD in the past to mine, I even have NetDrive, but when I tried to plot to my disk, it took the same amount that ACD take, in my local disk, so at the end I wasn't even able to plot 1TB as I don't have that space in my C: Drive, this is not with EC, it was locally.

Just wondering, with EC2 does it happen the same thing? Will the plots be limited by the 30 GB that the free tier offers?

• @Zeus You should plot and optimize a 50gb file at a time and upload to ACD. then delete the file and do it all over again. you can do it on EC2 but the plots will be small as you need space for plotting and optimizing.

• @CoinBuster Can we use simpler method under Windows, such as using Amazon Drive app similar like using OneDrive? Is it possible?

• @bitko I don't know if I understood you correctly. Amazon have a windows desktop client that you can upload with.

• @CoinBuster said in How to Open an EC2 Instance For Free and Mine From Amazon Cloud Drive With Unlimited HDD:

@bitko I don't know if I understood you correctly. Amazon have a windows desktop client that you can upload with.

Yeah, exactly. Has anyone ever tried it?

• @bitko Yes it works well with files under 50 GB

• did you think about that aws charges a shhitload for outgoing traffic (0.09$ per GB)??

The traffic is not free with the free tier

• @schnebi when you mine you dont hardly upload any data at all maybe a few kb per DL you find so data charges are not even a worry and you only pay once you go over a set limit that they give you with the free tier

• @Njcfamily31907 Oh, I see... Yiu want to mine with an ec2 instance... I thought you wanted to plot on an ec2 instance and then upload the files to amazon drive...

• Thanks for the guide, I'm giving this a try at the moment.
    I'll report back when I get a sufficient amount of plots uploaded to the ACD for the AWS to use.
    Quite a painful process when not on a fiber connection :)

• This post is deleted!

• I moved to this thread.

Looks like your connection to Burst - Efficient HDD Mining was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.